Here are some delicious treats for your Halloween parties and gatherings... something to give your tastebuds a break from the endless supply of candy.
Roasted Pumpkin Seeds
- Rinse pumpkin seeds and remove pulp. Drain and spread on paper towel-lined baking sheet to dry overnight.
- Preheat oven to 250. Line a baking sheet win non-stick foil.
- Spray seeds with cooking spray (or coat them in olive oil or butter).
- Sprinkle your favorite seasonings - garlic powder, onion powder, salt, seasoned salt, cayenne pepper, etc. Toss to coat evenly.
- Spread seeds on a baking sheet and bake one hour, stirring every 15-20 minutes until golden brown.
- Cool seeds before eating.
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 cup pumpkin puree
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 cup dried cranberries
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tbsp orange zest
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts (optional)
- Preheat oven to 375. Grease cookie sheets
- In large mixing bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in vanilla, egg and pumpkin.
- Sift together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and cinnamon. Stir into wet mixture until well blended.
- Stir in cranberries, walnuts and orange zest.
- Drop by teaspoonfuls onto greased cookie sheets.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes
Bloody Punch Bowl
- 1/2 cup light corn syrup
- 1 tsp molasses
- 1/2 tsp red food coloring
- Make your favorite blood-red punch, then give your bowl a gory look.
- Combine corn syrup, molasses and food coloring in a separate, smaller bowl.
- Dip your finger into the mixture and run it along the rim of your punch bowl. Continue until the rim is coated and the mixture drips down the sides.
Pumpkin Tortilla Chips and "Eyeball Mash"
- 2 burrito-sized roasted red pepper or jalapeno-cilantro flour tortillas
- Preheat oven to 400.
- Use a pumpkin-shaped cookie cutter to cut out pumpkins from tortillas.
- Bake on ungreased cookie sheet for 5 minutes, until crisp.
- Cool on rack.
- 12 oz shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 can chopped mild green chiles
- 1/3 cups light mayonnaise
- 1 tbsp vinegar
- 1 tsp mustard
- 1/2 sliced ripe olives
- In food processor with knife blade, blend all ingredients except olives.
- Transfer to bowl; stir in olives